Who pays now?
To what degree do leaders of movements, institutions, in religion as well as politics, filter out of circulation information inimical to their control of the believing population.
2. Why fake news, if only omissions?
3. State Dept -- Omissions engage in a coverup of emoluments, secret contacts, personal enrichment.
4. Why fake news sells: Science -- Brains wants certainty. Fake news gives it, reinforces.
5. Autocrats love certainty because it undermines peoples drive to autonomy.
6. But there is no certainty.
7. Re-enter the autocrat: No certainty? Fabricate it. Include implicit lure of insiderism, rankism.
8. So, Mar-a-Lago the fiction, wins. It is already sold to many as the ideal setting to serve the nation's business. Oh oh, we are so grateful to you, generous president. Pay no mind to cost to whom, personal gain to whom. How do I know? The State Dept tells me so. Yes, oh, yes.
- The topic of uses and abuses of Mar-a-Lago: update, mainstream https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-25/mar-a-lago-ad-belongs-in-impeachment-file
- Richard Nixon was president at the time. He never used it. After him came Gerald Ford, and he never used it. Then came Jimmy Carter, and he did not use it. Upkeep for the times was high -- a million $ per year, see http://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/home-decor/a7144/mar-a-lago-history. Accordingly, President Carter recommended to Congress that they return it to the original Foundation, surely with a thank you but.. And so our government did. The estate languished there for a while, until bought by Donald Trump in 1985.
- Add the cost to the Coast Guard, not in Trump's budget, see Coast Guard faces growing costs for protecting Trump]s Mar-a-Lago
- Does diverting those resources help the drug smuggling problem? Build a wall, they will go by sea.
- Today, the cost of maintaining it with mowers and maids is on the president's side of the ledger, but the cost to the nation of his going there -- and the rewards to him and his tentacles are vast. How vast? Really vast. And free transportation and perks.
- This site estimates each trip costs us 3.6 million $. See http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/18/center-american-progress-action-fund/how-much-do-donald-trumps-trips-mar-lago-cost/
- While lining the president's pockets?
Fake news is not limited to malicious fabrication -- for political gain or personal vendetta. Fake news is also the imposed ellipsis, the secret truncation: plucking off a few facts as though they represent a reasonable whole, and presenting the glommed result as worthy of belief. In religion, that is to be expected. How many founders' movements have managed to block its later institutional profiteers over centuries. Those who apply the death-by-ellipsis fall within propaganda techniques to vet.
3. State Department cover-up. Is this really happening, just because all the underlying facts seem to point to it? Is our own State Dept covering up a crime? Violation of 'emoluments' -- and personal enrichment through use and abuse of the office -- could come to that. If not a crime (yet), why not file to clarify the law as to a new situation,
Tillerson? Are you at home yet? See https://www.state.gov/secretary/travel/ This is your post, your employment. And surely, an extreme of conflicts of interest, really extreme, should trigger an interpretation of the Constitution that yes, even a president, can be so out of line that he should be removed from it. Bring a suit. Why rely on old ideas insulating the president from conflicts consequences, personal enrichment (how much time is spent on the nation's business, and how much for personal empire?) with these facts.
- The other post: The Washington Post and others found that the effect of the gushing post is to shill for the president's own personal business interests. Does this side perk, covered up, masks possible violations of the Constitution's emoluments provisions. See Washington Post 4/24/2017: State department website touts glittering history of Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate; and Atlantic Monthly at https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/donald-trump-conflicts-of-interests/508382/
4. Why does fake news sell?
Science. Brains want certainty. Religion or politics. See http://www.livescience.com/3966-ambiguity-messes-brains.html. Are we so afraid of ambiguity and ambivalence that we don't even list fear of uncertaintyN in the funny-not-funny phobias list: Look up phobias, irrational fears. Note, however, the role of fear. A fear-phobia lurks through them all, beneath the rational, is there, fear of fear. Induce fear, and the believers believe and follow, in order to feel safe again. See http://www.bizedmagazine.com/archives/2016/4/research/fear-ambiguity-affects-decision-making.
Even fear of war is shown as a personal fear, traumotophobia. Not fear of the idea. So sell war and security at the same time. Winner.
5. How does certainty support the autocrat?
Fear emerges from uncertainty: can that be agreed? So make fear precede the autocrat's giving of certainty through the proclamation of certainty.
That works. which means that (probably) the brain's first job is to get certain so that action can follow, and fast. How to do that? In politics, the idea is not new -- find a strong-man, see, e.g., http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/basic-lizard-brain-psychology-explain-rise-trump-article-1.2960261 Maslov's hierarchy of needs: even that old saw overlooks the role of uncertainty, need for social connection, see https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2012/03/29/what-maslow-missed/#252c8bf6661b
In religion and politics both, enter the ideology-maker to assuage the fear that the ideology-maker exploits, even creates. Tell people before a situation arises that it is coming and what to do in it and why. Persuasion as a short-cut path, circumventing merit, and that suits the ideology-maker.
- For example: present war as absolutely needed, now. War solves things. War is certain. Must do it.
- Autocrat: Figure out what a whole person needs, and deprive it. Control follows.
- A whole human needs the ability for independent assessment and ability, health, mobility, conditions fostering choices for action, or inaction, as the human may decide. http://www.iep.utm.edu/autonomy/
- Depriving people of autonomy creates serfs.
King-Hill Critical analysis of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Need
7. Re-enter the autocrat, who will provide certainty by proclamation and punishment. No wonder. It works. What is certain about Mar-a-Lago? Certainly more than the State Department is laying out. Theft of consent. Make that a crime to describe intentional misrepresentation, omission, wild interpretation, in order to garner support. That also applies to religions that do not, or did not, permit people to hear scripture in their own languages, etc. See Nin, Croatia.
Autonomy in a population is the greatest threat that an autocratic leader faces. And autonomy can be countered rather easily. Deprive of the means to it. Autonomy demands a reliable information base for choice, verifiable, reasonably comprehensive facts; and if not immediately verifiable, how close can good faith get us to it.
- The autocrat's response:
- Must harness the energy toward autonomy, Promise rank and standing to those whose lives may have been bereft of it, if they will just follow.
- Manipulate what is told to deciders and the people whose support he needs keep secret and deflect any
- evidence pointing to the contrary of what the autocrat wants. Ideologies get rewritten, facts contested without evidence but repeated and repeated; reduce sources of independent investigation, exposure to revelation by a seeker not on the autocrat's side. And Saturday Night Live goes up in the ratings, but does not reach those most affected.
- Brains now so happy. Do this and get punished like that. No equity, no individuals. Do that and feel sure. On the receiving end, get your just desserts. Bleep out and freeze if uncertainty arises, Need that autocrat.
- And so Mar-a-Lago becomes just a rich lady's dream come true. Mar-a-Lago now in the tender hands of her intended scion is revealed to be, yes, oh ... Donald Trump.
Mar-a-Lago. So many issues, not referenced in the State Department propaganda piece, swirl, that those who like sanity click the mental remote off.
Does human conflict, at its core, stem from Rankism. Organized religions and politics have long used the idea. Nonbelievers are disposable and heretic, Turn belief into a weapon.. Believe. Your grandpa's hometown little hardware store might have been the one that supplied war materiel in WWI or WWII, and whose grandson morphed into a daddy-warbucks a billionaire great-grandson's dream trust. You can have that, too. Dream on.
Yusupov Palace up there. Lots of money in guided tours, for days when the secrets do not waft about the galleries. Perhaps little golden gilt buses can scoot about the grounds with tourists (who pay through the nose) so they can say they were there, even if no plebeian foot dare touch the gr ass.